Saturday 24 February 2018

Song 193 - I just can't wait to be king - from the Lion King


I'm having an African inspired day today so for Saturday Sparkle, it seems really fitting to have "I just can't wait to be king" from The Lion King. The Lion King is, of course, the 1994 smash hit animated film brought to us by Disney and tells the story of Simba and his road in succeeding his father as head of the pride. It is a magical film, which Disney turned into a live musical in 1997. I saw the musical a few years ago and it captures your breath on how they brought such an iconic film to stage. It is understandable, that the musical broke the record of the longest-running musical, which was held by The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.

With the music written by Elton John and Tim Rice, there is a feast of iconic songs that could have been chosen for today so why choose I just can't wait to be king? I love the mischief-making lyrics of Simba and Nala, much to the annoyance of Zanu. They are spirited lion cubs, who don't need to be told what to do by an old hornbill, they do it their way.  It is an attitude that is inspiring, we, of course, know there's going to be consequences for their actions, but sometimes it is better to look at the rules and think how can I break them. I know I got to Africa because someone told me I was too fat to go and walk there. Never one to be told what to do, I put my walking boots and trained the weight off me.  I think what we learn as we get old is the balance of knowing what rules to break and what rules to live by. I'm a rebel at heart like Simba and Nala are. I also feel for Zanu as he is a teacher and being a teacher can be one of the hardest jobs in the world.

To hear this brilliant song, listen here and there is even lyrics so you can sing along:

I just can't wait to be king

Performed by Rowan Atkinson, Jason Weaver & Laura Williams
From The Lion King 
Lyrics - Tim Rice
Music - Elton John

No comments:

Post a Comment